Saturday, December 14, 2013

Aspartame: Why it's the devil

Hi all! So, I am all for saving calories whenever and wherever I can and the other day I did just that with a skinny peppermint mocha...except I had a major headache afterwards. All because of this little butthole known as aspartame. Thanks, Starbucks. I know, I know, I didn't think before I ordered but anyway, aspartame is by far the worst artificial sweetener out there. According to fitday.com aspartame can cause cancer, diabetes, psychological disorders, birth defects, vision problems, brain damage and seizures, as well as hinders weight loss. Fun shit, right?? 

Cancer: When aspartame is broken down by your body it produces a substance called DKP, as this substance is being digested it produces a chemical that promotes brain tumor growth. Awesome!   

Psychological Disorders: Emotional and mood disorders are effects of aspartame. High levels of this little devil can cause depression and other emotional disorders. The effects are so dangerous that scientist had to put an end to a study. Yikes!

Vision Problems: Methanol found in aspartame can damage the retina and optic nerve, as well as cause eye pain and blurred vision and in extreme cases blindness. Thanks but no thanks.   

Brian damage: Aspartame has formaldehyde (a preservative used to embalm bodies) in it which alters brain function and causes degenerative diseases such as, Parkinson's, ALS, and Alzheimer's. Nuff said. Period. 

Hinders weight loss: Aspartame is in a lot of diet foods including, diet coke. I had to kick the habit after I found out all these awful side effects. It hinders the production of serotonin, which helps signal to your body that you're full, leading to more food cravings. It also spikes your insulin causing your body to remove glucose from your blood stream and storing it as fat. If you're craving bubbles stick with St. Croix sparkling water, I love the grapefruit flavor!    


A healthier option is Stevia, it's an all natural sweetener. However, I feel that everyone shouldn't make a habit out of using zero calories sweeteners, even if they are natural. I'll only add Stevia to espresso; I drink my coffee without any type of sweetener, only light soy milk and two sprinkles of cinnamon. I find that sweeteners mask the wonderful coffee flavor. 

So anyway, please STAY AWAY from aspartame, it's no good! 


No comments:

Post a Comment